DWIGHT-GRAND OLE OPRY...DISCUSS? Dwight David Yoakam
The King of Country Cool

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

DWIGHT-GRAND OLE OPRY...DISCUSS?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forrest
Understand the Man
Understand the Man

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: DWIGHT-GRAND OLE OPRY...DISCUSS? Reply with quote

6-7-08 GAC DirecTV 326, Need I say more?
CandyCane
Population Dwight
Population Dwight

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Going to see him in person! First time going to the new Opry! Need I say more? Well I do. I wish the Ryman was still The Grand Ole Opry. That is where all the wonderful stars, Johnny Cash, Hank Sr, Patsy Cline, Minnie Pearl, Buck Owens, etc. played and sang as I watched from my SF home. The only girl I knew that watched the Opry and Hee Haw in the city of SF. The Ryman is the most magical concert hall in the world! I loved seeing Dwight play there! I think he loved the idea of all the greats playing on that stage and signing to the crowd that could hear all the artists perfectly with the most wonderful acoustics.
I do hope the new one is great. Hope the acoustics are great. But there is something about a concert hall, built by a corporation who took the name from the Ryman and gave it to their new concert hall.
It will be interesting and a new experience for me. Having seen Dwight several times live in both great, good and not so good places, I hope he livens up the corporate hall! Cool

Forrest
Understand the Man
Understand the Man

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's way cool, CC! You be sure and sneak in a cameraphone to shoot us a shot or two.

The Ryman is, of course still there and plenty viable, it's just that the GOO show is too big for it's britches to feel presentable to a nationwide audience confined in it's meager walls...not unlike Nascar, the GOO is out of touch with it's roots...Lord bless em both, they know not what they reap.
zoepatty
Honky-Tonkin'
Honky-Tonkin'

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to sneak a camera in. The Opry actually encourages the patrons to take pictures, but no video. The Opry will even let you go down close to the stage to get a close up picture of the artist.
CandyCane
Population Dwight
Population Dwight

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Now that's way cool, CC! You be sure and sneak in a cameraphone to shoot us a shot or two.

The Ryman is, of course still there and plenty viable, it's just that the GOO show is too big for it's britches to feel presentable to a nationwide audience confined in it's meager walls...not unlike Nascar, the GOO is out of touch with it's roots...Lord bless em both, they know not what they reap.

I will try to take some pics Forrest.

Yeah, the days of the OLD Grand Ole Opry is gone I am afraid. Gaylord thought hey, let's build a BIGGER Grand Ole Opry way out by our hotel and our mall (which took over Oprland theme park) so we can make tons of money of all three. Who cares that we are leaving the Ryman and it's history behind? People will flock to our new Opry and we will throw in some cookie cutter commercial artists, a long with the REAL artists and Bammm! Tons of money instantly!!
Too bad. I miss the old Opry and always will

For those of you who haven't been over to Gaylord's huge commercial area just outside of downtown Nashville, well, you can visit a HUGE mall where there are hundreds of people shopping every day, you can go to the brand new spankin' Opry, or you can stay in the way over priced Opry hotel. I am being sarcastic if you couldn't tell. Sorry, I am not a huge conglomerate fan.

NASCAR is nothing but a chance for companies to display their logos all over the cars and the drivers. Now I still love to watch it now and again, but I am sorry it has sold out too. I still love Jeff Gordon and always will, but mostly I check in with the NASCAR site (which in itself is nothing but commercial promotion) and check out what's going on and who won.

I think Gaylord and NASCAR know exactly what they are doing and laughing all the way to the bank.

Just my take.

Sad isn't Forrest?

Forrest
Understand the Man
Understand the Man

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, CC.

I do still enjoy the racing regardless of the corporate greed aspect, however, the personality has been driven out of the sport on so many levels. What I hate the most is the westward expansion of the circuit, because all the new tracks are virtually identical...I prefer tracks with idiosyncratic dynamics like Bristol, or Darlington, or Richmond. I hate the cookie cutter tracks like Chicagoland, Las Vegas and Texas.

I generally catch every race, but I don't root for the front runners...I'm always for the underdogs like Travis Kvapil or Elliot Sadler. Of course, the best races are found in the Nascar Craftsman Truck Series...the drivers aren't too big for their britches, the teams race on a shoestring budget, the races are generally 200 laps...the trouble is that they're Friday night races, and I usually fall asleep before the end of the race.
BetsyLayne
Honky-Tonkin'
Honky-Tonkin'

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by BetsyLayne on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
CandyCane
Population Dwight
Population Dwight

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Agreed, CC.

I do still enjoy the racing regardless of the corporate greed aspect, however, the personality has been driven out of the sport on so many levels. What I hate the most is the westward expansion of the circuit, because all the new tracks are virtually identical...I prefer tracks with idiosyncratic dynamics like Bristol, or Darlington, or Richmond. I hate the cookie cutter tracks like Chicagoland, Las Vegas and Texas.

I generally catch every race, but I don't root for the front runners...I'm always for the underdogs like Travis Kvapil or Elliot Sadler. Of course, the best races are found in the Nascar Craftsman Truck Series...the drivers aren't too big for their britches, the teams race on a shoestring budget, the races are generally 200 laps...the trouble is that they're Friday night races, and I usually fall asleep before the end of the race.

Have you watched the Sonoma, CA track racing? Truly a test of a good driver since the track is shaped like a road. That is the race I enjoy the most. Now don't get me wrong, I love Bristol, Darlington and Richmond. Would love to go to Talladega sometime as well. I agree with you about the Chicago, Las Vegas and Texas tracks. Not into those. Just cookie cutter like you said. I think not only should we have the round and round race tracks, but some more road type tracks where the skill of the driver is tested more.

Now it is great you root for the underdogs! I love it when when they really shoot for it! You are right about the budget for these drivers. LOL! Friday nights, those are tough ones for me too! Any night race is!
Now I know Jeff is one of those corporate drivers. But the way he started out is really fascinating if you know the story. I won't go into all the details, but he wanted to race ever since he was a boy. Got his dad to make one of those little starter cars for him. Now this took place in good ole CA. They rebuffed him when he wanted to race Indy, then when he started showing off his chops in NASCAR they INVITED him to Indy. He wouldn't go. I have a lot of respect for a man who got where he is by driving as well as he does and never giving up. Ok, enough of my preaching!

What will happen at Dover???? Not a Kyle Busch fan, so I really hope he looses!

CandyCane
Population Dwight
Population Dwight

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diss-Cuss-or the shun of it.

I am not shunning the new Opry Besty. I just haven't had a chance to go. I have a 12 year old that I don't want to leave on his own and I wouldn't even go to the Ryman unless he had a sleepover. I was lucky enough to get one for Dwight's concert.
I think that it is great to still have the Opry, no matter whether it is at the Ryman or the new Opry hall. I wasn't dissing the hall, I was dissing the corporation that built the new hall and shunned the Ryman since it was too small for them and they wanted to get more revenue. Now if you don't believe that, I am not going to change your mind. I am sure it is lovely, nice seating, great acoustics and larger than the Ryman.

Do you live in Nashville? If you do, have you seen the change in the whole area around the Opryland Hotel? The Opryland theme park tore down to make the Opry Mill shopping center (more money for Gaylord)? Have you noticed how more commercial it is than downtown Nashville?

Maybe I will like or even love the new Opry, but I am sorry, it is not the same. Did you watch the Grand Ole Opry when you were young? Did you see Johnny Cash, Porter Waggoner, Brenda Lee, Hank Sr or any of the other trailblazers of country music play in that hall, live or on tv? I did. The Ryman has special meaning for me and that will never change. Will I shun the new Opry? No, of course not! Love for music will get me there, especially when it involves Dwight. I am also glad that Charlie Pride and Mel Tillis will be playing that night (that is what I heard anyway) and I am glad that there are some new acts playing there as well (i.e. Sheryl Crowe, although I am not a huge fan of hers). If there is an artist or artists playing there that I like or love I will go. I know about Gaylord and how they run things, but that won't stop me from going.
Now if only they would invite Billy Bob Thornton and his new band or Taylor Swift. That would get me there as well. I would also grab tickets for Hank Jr.

So shunning the new Opry has nothing to do with what I said. Dissin' it, I can't since I haven't been there. Cussing it?? I don't think that was ever discussed on this thread.

I will diss the Gaylord Corp. Not a corporate person, never will be. Just 'cause they built the new Opry doesn't mean they are great. It is good press however.

Forrest
Understand the Man
Understand the Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the need for the GOO to move out of the Ryman. It's just too small a hall for their needs...wasn't it a church before it became The Ryman?

I'd love to see Dwight do us a nice DVD from the Ryman, perhaps something like Alan Jackson's "Precious Memories", a CD/Disc devoted to his Mom, and entirely made up of Gospel songs.
http://www.amazon.com/Precious-Memories-Live-Ryman-Alan-Jackson/dp/B000FOQ0A0
It's a fantastic disc. I made a bootleg recording from the GAC broadcast and passed it to my Mom and Aunt, and next thing you know, it got duped a few more times and passed all around the ancestral family church up in the Western MD hills that I claim as my birthright...thats the sign of a good thing, that people who never buy new music want to share something new with each other.

Heya CC, I'm one of the few Nascar fans that actually appreciates a good road race such as Sonama and Watkins Glen. It's kinda like watching "fish out of water". The drawback is that it makes it tough for the shoestring operations to field a car, let alone a driver, as many drivers can't handle a road course, hence the annual arival of the Boris Said's of Nascar...Boris can't get a full ride in Nascar, but he always makes his appearances at Sonama and Watkins.
CandyCane
Population Dwight
Population Dwight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Forrest! Yeah the Ryman was indeed a church before a music hall.

Some pics

I hope that the new Opry is as cool. I will leave my mind open and check it out. Will try to take some pics too!

I know what you mean about the road tracks. The reason I love them is that Jeff Gordon gets to show off his chops as a driver. He always likes the road tracks the best!
I do feel for some of the other drivers. Tough courses for sure!

Are you going to watch Dover today?

BetsyLayne
Honky-Tonkin'
Honky-Tonkin'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CC I do believe you are loyal to the Music and the building in which you heard it in.
Sweet Loving HeartStrings....I'd say we have threads in common.

I think most (not all) people want to retain time and seek security in familiar places
and faces.
And some of us venture out to explore and return home to those tending the hearth.

Now about Downtown Nashville vrs the Country Sprawl in the Opry
Hotel and Opry Mill's area.
I like "Downtown" areas especially the Circle the Square kind where one pulls in
and parks and walks 2 ft. to the store and stroll into a few other stores then get back in your car, back out and go.
And I like Open Parking Lots next to, or behind the building one is going in.
Not these walk 2 miles to get to the store.
In the majority of Ky. you have to have a Car and INSURANCE to get anywhere.
Nashville TN. and Louisville, KY. offers other options for getting around but when
you have lived moving about in your own car going to these two cities and hoping
on some public transit system is like going to a public restroom feeling.
Not that I won't do it, I will. Louisville now has a Friday Night Artsy Area
I want to go back and see more of.
Nashville has their trolleys I have yet to ride and I haven't played tourist there
in many years.
I guess it really is just what one is used to.
If you have any how to see Downtown Nashville on foot easily, not overly crowded
and where to go time savers I would appreciate any input.
Most of my trips to Nashville involve the Airport and I have noticed Sundays
on Broadway are usually less traffic but I don't know what is open to see.
I think all cities wanting tourists should have an Open on Sundays brochure.

Here are some links
Grand Ole Opry History-

November 28, 1925, which is celebrated as the birth date of the Grand Ole Opry.
Well, what do you know! That's my birthday! Nov. 28-not 1925. I'd forgot about that.
And look in this picture it's June Carter Cash on stage!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Ole_Opry
And I found this on Opry Mills - I didn't see a date to know if it is current news.
And I can't say at first glance that the two Mills are connected...
http://www.oprymills.us/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/09/AR2007010900574.html

The break-down of disscussion
I looked up Diss-cuss-shun and the orgin of the word discussion.
It turns out diss didn't start till the 80's and is probably from the word disrespect, but perhaps disparage or dismiss.
-cuss has been around along time from the word curse
and disscussion ,the origin is to examine
So my play on words of diss -cuss- or shun
has nothing to do with the meaning of discussion or its origins
but none-the- less due to the new word diss - it appears negative in its breakdown
which I thought was interesting because I like to think of discussions
as hopefully arriving to a positive place.

Wonder what songs Dwight will sing?
I've been listening to Dwight sings Buck and I really like Think of Me.

LIN
CandyCane
Population Dwight
Population Dwight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lin

Nah, I am not one that does not like to explore. I was born in SF, CA and lived there for many years and know the city upside and down. I have explored most of Nothern CA and some of Mid and Southern CA.

I have lived in Europe, Spain and France specifically. I have lived in Boston, Jacksonville, FL, and now Nashville. I have discovered many different forms of music in each place I have ever lived. I have taken mass transit in every place looking for interesting places, not just music, museums and historical places. No, I didn't sit at home much.

My music history and interests are vast. I played classical piano for 15 years. I discovered country music via the Opry and Hee Haw. I discovered punk and alternative music in the Haight-Ashbury district in SF. I have danced many a night away in the gay clubs in SF as well, techno music. I listen to heavy metal, hip hop, rap, Goth, death metal and any other music that suits my fancy at the time. I have been to many clubs and bars where others would be afraid to go into because of the clientèle, gays, African-Americans, Punks and Goths.

I think public transportation is wonderful. I would LOVE to park my car at home and hop on a bus or underground and get to anywhere I want to go. I had that opportunity in Boston. No one drives there. Everyone takes public transportation. It takes you all over, no need to park a car, and sometimes where you need to get to is just a few blocks away.
Now Nashville is not one of those places where there is any real public transportation. The trolley system here is a joke, and there are very few buses. There is no underground like SF, Boston, London, Paris and other major cities in the US and across the world.

As far as the area of downtown Nashville being crowded, well, that depends on the day or night you go there. I have been both day and night and have had fun both times. There is Printer's Alley full of small bars with nightlife. There are also various bars and restaurants around 2nd Ave and Broadway. There are plenty of parking lots in the area to park your car and explore the area. Sunday is a great day to take a stroll around the area. I have been a few times and enjoyed a few drinks at Coyote Ugly, Hard Rock Cafe (ok, been to many of them, but they are all a bit different), Wildhorse Saloon, Tootsies, and some I just wandered into and didn't pay attention to the names. There are a couple of Irish bars downtown that are cool as well.

Ah, discovery and taking chances. No, I am not a homebody at all. I can be sentimental about places, as in the Opry, The Cow Palace in SF, the Louvre in Paris, Madrid and it's cathedrals, Vienna with the streets full of tourists, the wonderful Lipazzanner horses and beautiful Gothic buildings.

Probably the most interesting and eye-opening place I have ever been to was Amsterdam when I was just 15. I saw things and did things that most people would freak over. I also spent a few days wandering the halls of the wonderful museums there.

I have traveled across the US by myself, and even traveled by myself to Ireland.

Ok, enough of my travels and interests.

Like I said, I am sentimental about certain places, people and things. Doesn't mean I don't like to try something new and have new experiences. I intend to keep my mind open when going to the new Opry. Maybe it will be one of my fave places. You never know till you go.

Oh discussions can be great! I have found this one to be interesting. I hope you have as well. Maybe we both have learned something about the other that we didn't know or wouldn't expect.

I do use the word "diss" often. Just took it up with the rest of my slang. Cuss, well, I don't use that word, I use swear or I just go ahead and use the words that people consider cuss or swear words. I have been known to shun things as well, hasn't everyone?

The two Mills links are totally not related. The first is the Opry Mills Mall. The second refers to a corporation going bankrupt up North, Maryland I believe.

Thank you for the info on the Opry birthday and June Carter on stage! I used to watch her, Johnny and The Carter Sisters on the Opry. My father was a huge fan of The Carters and Johnny as well. Cool that its birthday is on your birthday! Neat the stuff you can find out on the internet, huh?

Just to let you know, if I could, I would travel most of the world, even Antarctica if I had the money and the time. I would take in South America, Alaska, back to Europe and many other places. I get tired of living in suburban America with a mall, Wal-Mart, Target and some chain restaurants just down the road where my car can park at 90 degrees a few feet away and there is no parallel parking. See, I didn't grow up like that and I am still getting used to it after 11 years in the suburbs.

As far as what Dwight will sing, hey, as long as he is on stage and I can see him live, he can sing anything he wants, including the phone book and I would be in heaven!

Sorry for the novel. Just thought I would share my thoughts. I love when others on the board share theirs as well!

Have a great night!

Julie Cool

CandyCane
Population Dwight
Population Dwight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Forrest! I watched the NASCAR race at Dover today. Well, my dude, Jeff, came in 5th. Points and not a bad finish. The driver I like the least, Kyle Busch of course won. I was surprised at the crashes that involved so many drivers! Wow! Ok, I think the crashes, as long as no one is hurt, are cool. Just kinda morbid I guess. I was happy that Tony Stewart finished way back! LOL!

Did you get to watch? Does The Donald watch with you? Scarlett watches with me!

BetsyLayne
Honky-Tonkin'
Honky-Tonkin'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Julie for telling me more about yourself. I remembered you
were from SF. I figured you had something more to you than NASCAR and Country Music
and CandyCane.Yeah I liked that movie too!
I'm not dissing those subjects [Forrest,
Traci -and other NASCAR enthusiasts]
I would like to see a cross country race and the idea of rocket racing is appealing to me. I have been to a NASCAR Race in Daytona and
a drag race out at Beech Bend B.G,Ky. (hometown) -exciting but LOUD!
It is just that I know everyone is so much more.
Dwight Yoakam is so very lucky with the
people who stand with him on this journey through life.
Be they the down-home sweet or the Worldly.
And Julie, you just "Wowed" Me with all you have done.
I just smiled all the way through your travels.
And anyone keeping their parental eye
on their 12 year old is all right by me.
I have my Ky. Songwriters meeting tomorrow night and when I am updated
on Saturday's events I will make the decision on which I will attend
Fan Fair Sunday or the Opry on Saturday. I am definitely leaning towards the Opry.
I'm following the GOO thread on the LRH and see a couple of familiar names (hey DYT and Traci)
will be at the Opry and more.
If you haven't met these Ladies and are meeting up with them to dine prior to the
show they are wonderful companions.
I will probably be a last minute nosebleed section dash to the stage to flash (camera).
Afterwards I would love to meet you, say hey to those I know and meet the other
Dwight Fans.
If you don't hear Marco in the Waiting Line LOL!or whatever else they
come up with.

Just an added note ...
For anyone
attending they used to do pre-show interviews in the glass booth in the high-up section.
Something to keep an eye on.

LIN
CandyCane
Population Dwight
Population Dwight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brenda! LOLOLOL! Yeah, Joy Ride was a cool movie, huh?

Thank you for taking the time to read my "novel"! I didn't mean to write that much, but got carried away with my bad self!

I would love to meet you at the Opry if you go. I will pm you my cell no. You are invited to join us for dinner before if you like. I don't think DYT or Traci would mind at all and my husband certainly doesn't mind being surrounded by women! LOL!

Oh and about my sweet 12 year old, I would gladly kill or die for him. That is what I believe moms should do, but I know not all would do it or do it. Too bad.

LOL! My travels and other experiences crack me up sometimes! I feel young, but when I look back at what I have done in my life, I think, man, I must be a thousand years old!! But I'm not just to clear that up! Laughing

BetsyLayne
Honky-Tonkin'
Honky-Tonkin'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning!
Thanks CC! I got the #. Doubt time will allow me to dine- then one never knows. I'm gathering info .Found out
there will be a Plaza concert prior to the show at 5:30 with Sunny
Sweeny and the Wrights.I'm assuming this is outfront of the OPRY.

My posts will be hit and run I have a busy week here on out.
Thanks Forrest for starting this thread...
and look for us at the stage! or as close as we can get!

LIN
CandyCane
Population Dwight
Population Dwight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad My cell phone is broken and I am using my son's cell till my replacement gets here. I will have to pm you later with the no.

BetsyLayne
Honky-Tonkin'
Honky-Tonkin'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CC!
Sorry about your phone that happens!My nephew just called day
beforeyesterday reinstating his old cell # after time down for repair.
I think I still have Traci's in my other e-mail where (Lucky Lady) got
to attend the KY. Awards show!The weather and the Flu knocked me out
of that celebrated event and it was also the first year/ week of my Dad's passing,which had me torn about going in the first place.
I don't think I checked the e-mails she had sent me once I knew I
wasn't going till after it was all over.

I have made my apologies to the KY.SongWriter's Org.for this Sat.
but I'm so overdue an adrenaline fix of the DWIGHT kind.How about it DOC?
I'm sure he'll fix me right up.
And I so look forward to meeting everyone related to the boards.
We will all find each other at the stage at 7 if not before.
Marco
LIN
BetsyLayne
Honky-Tonkin'
Honky-Tonkin'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day I was in a check-out lane behind a guy in overalls,
no shirt and a red cap on his head.
I never looked. He never turned all the way around.
Afterwards,I had the strangest urge to bring Dwight a Tomato Plant.
I'm not kidding!
To think of it -Shell could probably use one.
But I just don't think the rest of the Opry would understand.
LOL!
Night!

LIN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dwight David Yoakam Forum Index -> Dwight All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: