Buck Owens Post Office Dwight David Yoakam
The King of Country Cool

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Buck Owens Post Office

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crackerjack
Understand the Man
Understand the Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Buck Owens Post Office Reply with quote

Yey! Clap
It seems U.S. Senators Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein (both from California) have proposed legislation to have a post office in Bakersfield renamed the "Buck Owens Post Office".

In the Senators' news release, Boxer said, “I was fortunate to have met Buck ten years ago when I was invited to Bakersfield to present one of his special red, white, and blue guitars to a promising music student named William Villatoro. I still vividly remember how the young man was deeply moved and inspired by Buck’s generous gesture. Although he is no longer with us, Buck leaves behind a wonderful legacy of artistry and love of music. I am proud to introduce this legislation in his honor.”

Feinstein said, “This post office will serve as a fitting tribute to Buck’s contributions to country music and to Bakersfield. I am delighted to join my colleague, Senator Boxer, in co-sponsoring this legislation.”
Wave
KentuckyGibsonY2K
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's excellent news! Very Happy

Nice to see folks paying tribute to Buck Wink

-K-

http://kentuckygibson.deviantart.com/
Crackerjack
Understand the Man
Understand the Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more great news.... It's official!!
President Bush signed the law this morning - the post office will now be called the "Buck Owens Post Office" Clap

The bill was actually written by Congressman Kevin McCarthy of Bakersfield; Senators Boxer & Feinstein were instrumental in passing the legislation in the Senate.

Here is a cool article to check out:
http://magazine.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Paying_Tribute_to_Buck_Owens.aspx
(Except they misspelled Yoakam Rolling Eyes Laughing )
retta
Population Dwight
Population Dwight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CJ

Great news about the post office. Very Happy Very well deserved! Wink Cool

Crackerjack
Understand the Man
Understand the Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys Smile

Here are a couple of pics of Congressman McCarthy presenting the Owens boys with a certificate commemorating the renaming of the post office.

Oh, and here's a pic of the Buck Owens Post Office, of course. Very Happy

hillbillyheart
Population Dwight
Population Dwight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Whooohooo CJ, thanks for sharing that wonderful news and pics. I'm sure Buck would be so honored and proud Thumbs Up

Hello Love

Just a hillbillyheart, 10,000 miles from nowhere.
    retta
    Population Dwight
    Population Dwight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news CJ Cool it's wonderful to have the Post Office as another lasting legacy, along with his music, for future generations to know about, love & appreciate Buck Owens too! Love Not Worthy Yey! Thumbs Up Cool USA

Crackerjack
    Understand the Man
    Understand the Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're most welcome - I am more than happy to share Buck news. Very Happy

I agree, it is an awesome thing to have the post office named for Buck...
    Hmm, ya think maybe they should paint the building red, white & blue? Maybe display a guitar or two in the window?
    Idea OOOH, I KNOW!! Next they should come up with a Buck stamp!! Very Happy Very Happy
    retta
    Population Dwight
    Population Dwight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CJ

That's not a strange idea really... in OZ there was talk of an Angelina & Brad stamp! Shocked Surprised Confused I kid you not....it may have been an idea by a woman's weekly magazine to celebrate the success of one of their cover shots featuring baby Shilo's birth. Rolling Eyes

I would be more than happy for Steve Irwin stamps, in memory of the fearless wildlife warrior. Cool Very Happy His first anniversary is on 4 September, what a tragedy..still hard to believe. Confused Surprised Just trying to remember if we had the Steve stamps....I'm not sure as I live in the bush...maybe Hilly will remember. Confused

Idea Maybe you could start a petition calling for a Buck stamp. Cool Wink I'd sign straight away. Very Happy

urse0804
    Dwight Dedicated
    Dwight Dedicated

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stamp would be very cool ... maybe part of a music icons
    series or something.

But another groovy idea would be a special Buck Owens
    cancellation from the Buck Owens P.O. I would send things
    there to have that put on them.

Cool Cool
    Forrest
    Understand the Man
    Understand the Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Buck Owens Post Office Reply with quote

Crackerjack wrote:
    Yey! Clap
    It seems U.S. Senators Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein (both from California) have proposed legislation to have a post office in Bakersfield renamed the "Buck Owens Post Office".

Feinstein said, “This post office will serve as a fitting tribute to Buck’s contributions to country music and to Bakersfield. I am delighted to join my colleague, Senator Boxer, in co-sponsoring this legislation.”
    Wave

What a complete and utter waste of taxpayers money. Post Offices should be named for the local area that they serve, not some senators personnal hero.
    4DwightDarlin'
    Dwight Dedicated
    Dwight Dedicated

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Buck Owens Post Office Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
    Crackerjack wrote:
    Yey! Clap

Wave

What a complete and utter waste of taxpayers money. Post Offices should be named for the local area that they serve, not some senators personnal hero.

FORREST
    THE WAY I READ THE ANNOUNCEMENT -- IT SAYS THE 'LOCAL POST OFFICE IN BAKERSFIELD'
    .......SO WOULDN'T THAT BE THE LOCAL AREA THAT THEY SERVE - THE BUCK OWENS POST OFFICE IN BAKERSFIELD?

Crackerjack
    Understand the Man
    Understand the Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Buck Owens Post Office Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:

Sorry you feel that way Forrest. But, it's a normal thing for post offices to be renamed. On that day, a total of 15 post offices were renamed. Most of which for people I've never heard of. Laughing I think Rep. McCarthy's bill was a good one - if post offices get new names all the time, why not rename one in Bakersfield for the man who is largely responsible for putting Bakersfield on the map? The "Buck Owens Post Office" sure sounds better than "the postal facility at 118 Minner Avenue" Wink
    Forrest
    Understand the Man
    Understand the Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is it a waste of taxpayers money to rename post offices, but it's an even bigger waste of legislative time to discuss such frivilous matters when there are far more important issues of national secuirty and interest that they refuse to do anything about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dwight David Yoakam Forum Index -> Buck All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: